Have you ever looked at yourself and wondered how your skin would hold up as you start to age? Most probably, we all have.
Maybe you’ve already started experiencing some skin problems, so you might want to learn what treatments are available for the same. One such problem is crepey skin, which can be very annoying.
There are many causes of crepey skin, aging being one of the most common. Other causes responsible for it include exposure to UV rays, improper diet, dehydration, stress, and pollution.
It is most commonly seen on the face and upper arms.
However, it is not an untreatable condition. It can be treated with ease, and many treatment options are available for the same. To undergo treatment, you need to start by visiting a dermatologist. They will properly examine your skin and will advise you of appropriate treatment.
However, you can take preventive measures at home as well. Doing at-home exercises has proven to be very helpful in managing crepey skin.
We have mentioned the importance of exercising and some exercises that you can do to manage crepey skin. Take a look.
Importance of Exercising
Before knowing what exercise you are going to do, it is essential to understand its importance.
When you exercise, you gain muscle mass. This muscle mass will help in decreasing the appearance of loose skin.
If excess fat is distended in the skin for a long time, the skin will lose its ability to shrink with weight loss. If the fat lost is replaced by muscle mass, the appearance of loose skin can be improved.
You should consult a doctor before you start exercising if you have loose skin from a recent pregnancy or weight loss.
Practicing a combination of regular skincare exercises is a perfect way to manage loose, crepey skin. The skincare products you use will mainly target crepiness, wrinkles, and lines.
Adding movement to the regimen will help tone your muscles, giving you an overall tighter, and lifted appearance.
Skin Tightening Exercises for Crepey Arms
Difficulty level: Easy
- To start this exercise, you need to join your hands in a prayer pose in front of your chest.
- While engaging the triceps muscles, you should slowly raise your hands above your head. Hold there and take a deep breath.
- Now, while concentrating on engaging the tricep muscles, you should lower your hands back to the starting position (which was in front of your chest) with slow and deliberate movement. Take a deep breath.
- Repeat this 30 times.
Windmill Arm Circles
Difficulty level: Easy
- The arm circles will involve your arm, shoulder, and back muscles.
- To start the exercise, you need to stand on your feet in a shoulder-wide stance. Then you should extend your arms out from your sides, in the direction parallel to the floor.
- You should keep your shoulder down the whole time while doing this exercise. Then, you should start moving your arms in a counterclockwise direction using small controlled circles. You should gradually make the circle until you experience a deep comfortable stretch in your shoulder area.
- You are advised to make 20 circles with each arm.
- Then you should do the same exercise in a clockwise direction and repeat.
- After you are comfortable doing the exercise, you can consider adding lightweights to your wrist or hands while doing it.
Difficulty level: Medium
This is a great exercise that involves the whole arm. It is even better if done with light weights.
- To start the exercise, you need to stand tall with your feet hip-width apart. You should hold light dumbbells in each hand.
- Then, you should bend your elbow to curl the weights on the shoulders with your arms down, your elbows tucked in, and the palms are facing towards you.
- Then you should slowly return to the starting position by taking a deep breath.
- It is advised to repeat it 15-20 times.
- You should keep in mind to keep your back straight the whole time, and you should not bend your wrist.
Other Treatment Methods
If you have crepey skin, you may want to try either laser treatment or an injection – both are very effective at smoothing out wrinkles.
If the skin is quite saggier and has an excess of collagen beneath it, a surgical procedure may be necessary. However, surgery will generally only be offered to patients who have severe sagging and a high level of loose skin in one area of the body, for instance, the abdomen.
However, there are two more effective ways of treatment.
Tretinoin Prescription for Crepey Skin
Tretinoin is a topical prescription cream used to treat the fine crepe-like wrinkles in the face like those between the eyes and cheeks.
Taking topical prescription creams may give you the results that you want, but your skin might take some time to adjust to the natural ingredients.
Some people are tretinoin allergic, which is something to watch out for. You should also consult with your doctor before starting to use any product.
Importance of Doctor’s Prescription
While topical creams can help fade the appearance of crepey, aged skin by plumping the skin and even reducing fine lines, other treatments may be used to help with crepey skin.
Typically, a doctor specializing in dermatological treatment will determine the best course of action for an individual patient. Most doctors will find that using medications to treat the problem area is a better long-term solution than immediate micro-laser surgery or fillers.
So, What’s The Way Out?
Crepey skin is very common with aging. It does not have any medical side effects. However, it does not seem pleasing. Crepey skin is noted at multiple places. Along with the face, it is majorly found on the upper arms of the body.
Many treatment options are there which can help you in treating the crepey skin. Treatment options range from peeling, facials, laser treatments, fillers to surgery. To undergo any of these treatments, you need to start by visiting a dermatologist.
In addition to undergoing any procedure to treat crepey skin, there are many ways to prevent it. Making certain lifestyle changes like getting regular sleep, following a nutritious diet, and maintaining adequate hydration will help you prevent crepey skin.
In addition to the preventative measures, doing regular exercise has also proven to be helpful in treating crepey skin. Over and above all, doing regular exercise is good for the body’s overall health.
We hope this article helped you!